Mary Queen of Scones

Bolos pequenos com romá e requeijao
Why don´t we have scones in Portugal I cry? My scone song has to be to introduce "Scones" to the Portuguese community. Home made scones, such a delicious treat, not just for afternoon tea. Sweet or savoury scones are so versatile and are so quick and easy to make.There is a scone for almost every occasion. Scones are believed to have originated in Scotland.The origin of the name 'scone' is just as unclear as where it came from. Some say the name comes from where the Kings of Scotland were crowned, the Stone (Scone) of Destiny.So donning my Scottish Toque I take on the role of Mary Queen of scones for an afternoon.
If I was to introduce the scone to Portugal I think this would be what I would bake.....

Pomegranate scones with requeijao
makes 8 large scones 

2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2/3 cup butter, chilled and cut up
2 eggs
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
pot of requeijao cheese to serve
Combine the flour, sugar and baking powder.Cut in the butter until your mixture resembles coarse crumbs.Stir in the egg combined with the cream and vanilla. On a well-floured surface knead in the pomegranate seeds. Roll the dough into eight equal sized balls and press into a 6.5cm pastry cutter. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Repeat with the remaining scone dough. Bake at 200C /400F for 15 minutes or until bottoms of the scones are lightly browned.
Serve with a pot of Requeijao cheese,or if you prefer, a home made Seville orange curd.
 
If you eat all the scones before your guests arrive,I promise not to tell.
I have many more scone recipes up my sleeve so watch out for more ideas between now and Christmas.



 

Comments

Popular Posts